Adams has more than a dozen production facilities, each turning out about 300 tons of product per hour. So our quality assurance measures have to be [on an equally large scale].
In our field, quality is all about consistency. To be sure that the quality coming out of our plants is maintained at the highest levels throughout the year, we test thoroughly and regularly.
- We begin by testing the stone coming into our plants, checking every week to make sure we’re starting with the best quarry materials.
- We test plant output in onsite labs to verify our production processes.
- And we cut cores in the field to confirm the ultimate jobsite performance of our asphalt.
During our testing, we monitor standard deviation for key variables such as:
- air voids
- liquid asphalt content
Among the advanced quality analysis measures we employ:
- Liquid Asphalt Content – A 1,200° oven burns liquid asphalt off 2,000-gram sample. The remnants of the sample are then weighed to a 10th of a gram to confirm the sample’s original liquid asphalt content.
- Bulk Specific Gravity – This gyratory process simulates the roller compaction taking place on roadway, and utilizes two samples that are weighed in water and air to confirm density (bulk specific gravity).
- Air Voids – We pull a vacuum on a sample for 15 minutes to get all air out, then compare the specific gravity against sample measurements without the vacuum.
Living up to the highest customer standards
You won’t find many customers more quality-conscious than the Virginia Department of Transportation. And out of the hundreds of thousands of tons of asphalt we’ve delivered to VDOT projects in recent years, only two-tenths of one percent have been “non-compliant” with VDOT specs!
We’ve also routinely met Federal Highway Administration requirements for sites such as the Blue Ridge Parkway.
But possibly the strongest measure of our quality capabilities is the fact that we meet FAA specs for airport runways—where the surface needs to be as close to perfect as it can be.
If we can live up to standards like these, you can be confident we’ll live up to yours.